British Gordon Setter Club Open Show 10th July 2021
Well done to the Secretary and committee for a well organised show. My thanks for the support of my stewards James, Karen and Rachel and thanks also to the exhibitors for a lovely entry.
- Halliday – Yennadon Reiss – Nicely put together with balanced angulation, masculine head on long lean neck. Good tan. Moved well holding his topline. BV
MP & PD 1 entry absent
1.Phillips, Watkins & Sykes – Glenmaurangi Storm Trooper – 12 months old, very mature for his age, super head, long lean neck, good shoulders and rear angulation, great depth of chest. Moved with drive. Considered him for RBD but felt the older dog was the more finished picture.
- Fudge – Kattandale Black Crusader at Rufusmoor (AI) Finer in head and straighter in stifle than winner. Good depth of chest, lovely straight coat and good colour. Moved well.
1.Upton-Lovett & Upton – Roydack Peaky Blinder – Good reach of neck, lovely topline, good bend of stifle. Balanced angulation. Lovely straight coat. Moved out well.
- Fudge – Kattandale Black Crusader (AI) 2nd in junior
- Poulter – Roydack Game of Thrones
ND 6 (1abs)
- Phillips, Watkins, Miles – Glenmaurangi Mandalorian – litter brother to Junior Dog winner and also very mature for his age, lovely length of neck though a little throaty, well sloping shoulders, balanced angulation, level topline. Moved well.
- Beese – Hernwood Xmas Drummer at Ashheys – good angulation fore and aft, deep chest, level topline. Great colour and straight coat. Moved well.
- Upton-Lovett & Upton – Roydack Peaky Blinder
GD 4 (1abs)
- Smith – Bryerdale Qoala of Boswedden – Substantial dog, balanced angulation, good depth of chest, lovely straight coat, good colour. A little throaty. Best mover in this class.
- Danks – Colquhally Major Tom – smaller built than my winner, again balanced angulation and good depth of chest. Great coat and colour, preferred his head to 1, but 1 had the better movement.
- Beese – Hernwood Xmas Drummer
PGD 5 (2 abs)
- Horler – Hernwood Jack O’ Lantern by Rackens JW – substantial dog, lovely long neck again a bit throaty, good depth of chest, balanced angulation, lovely bend of stifle. Well muscled quarters. Moved with drive.
- Halliday – Yennadon Barra – smaller built dog, good reach of neck, good front angulation and forechest. Good depth of chest. Lovely coat and colour. Moved okay.
- Cops & Whiting – Locksheath Black Ice
- Hall – Melview Moving Time – masculine head, long lean neck, balanced all through, plenty of forechest, correct bend of stifle. Good coat and colour. Moved well with drive.
- Wrigley – Kattandale Canterbury (AI) – Lovely head, good topline, great depth of chest, well angulated front and rear, straight coat and lovely colour. Moved well.
- Ellington – Benbuie Thornbird
OD 4 (2 abs)
Two super dogs, both moved straight and true with good reach, driving round the ring
- Collins-Pitman – Amscot Raisin Black – The standard calls for a stylish dog and this boy certainly fits that description. Super masculine head, he has a lovely soft expression and low earset, to be picky I would prefer slightly less flew. Long lean neck flowing into well laid shoulders, plenty of forechest and depth in brisket, well balanced angulation, well muscled hindquarters. Great colour and plenty of coat. Loved him. BD & BIS
- Harker – Hernwood Achillies at Ettrick JW – similar remarks apply to this lovely boy. More rugged than 1. Lovely male head, long neck with level topline. Great forechest and depth of chest, balanced angulation. Well muscled hindquarters. Good colour and lovely coat. RBD & RBIS
VB 2 (1abs)
- Melville – Kilnrae Party Time at Tsruhnova – Balanced angulation, level topline held on the move, good depth of chest and spring of rib. Great coat and colour. Moved well.
MPB 4 (1 abs)
- Thomas – Chartan Maple Mayhem – what a cutie. Loved her head, super forechest and balanced angulation. Lovely colour and straight coat. Moved well.
- Boxall – Laurelhach Renaissance – Lovely long neck, balanced angulation, plenty of substance. Good tan.Moved well.
- Ewart – Yennadon Botanist Islay
PB 3 (2abs)
- BPB & BPIS Williams – Longrow Foxy Lady
Very overawed, but a nice little bitch. Lovely head, good length of neck, plenty of forechest and good depth of chest. Balanced angulation. Moved okay in the class, but much better in the challenge for BP
- Wrigley – Kattandale Blac Highlander (AI) – Substantial bitch, great depth of chest, well angulated, plenty of bone, lovely straight coat and good colour. Moved well
- Burke – Beechlake Hey Jude – What a sweetie. Smaller all through than 1, but everything in proportion.Loved her head, good angulation front and rear, good coat and colour. Moved well.
- Alpe & Abram – Amscot True Lies
- Jones – Roydack The Duchess
- Upton-Lovatt & Upton – Roydack Portrait of a Lady
Litter sisters, two lovely youngsters both with long lean necks, good angulation, good depth of chest and spring of rib, straight coats and good colour. Both moved well. Preferred the more feminine head and rear angulation of my winner.
- Crowther – Ronaldsbill Midnight Blitz
NB 5 (1abs)
- Kattandale Blac Highlander (AI) 1st JB
- Roydack The Duchess 1st YB
- Amscot True Lies 3rd JB
GB 3 (1abs)
- Powell – Kimgilee Maori Secret – Lovely shape, good depth of chest, balanced angulation. Well muscled hindquarters. Moved well.
- Gunnery – Longrow Love of My Life (AI) – Pretty headed bitch, low earset, lovely level topline. Good depth of chest. Straight coat and lovely colour. Moved okay.
PGB 5 (2abs)
- Hall – Melview Phoenix – Lovely neck into level topline. Good forechest and depth of chest. Balanced angulation, lovely straight coat and good colour. Moved well.
- Kimgilee Maori Secret – 1st GB
- O’Kelly & Hancock – Lainnireach Original Tonic at Caradilis
LB 11 (4abs)
- Slaughter – Cairacailie Night of Love with Ordett JW – Lovely headed substantial bitch, long neck into well angulated front, good depth of chest. Balanced all through. Straight coat and good colour. Moved with drive BB & BOS
- Roberts – Kyuna Dream of Magic at Moonglade – Elegant bitch, pretty feminine head, good angulation and depth of chest. Lovely straight coat and good colour. Moved true RBB
- Whiting – Locksheath Princess Tiana JW
- Williams – Longrow I Love to Boogie JW – Substantial bitch, feminine head, good forechest and depth to chest. Balanced angulation. Good coat and colour. Moved well.
- Melville – Tsruhnova Tarkheena JW – feminine head with low earset. Good forechest and depth to chest. Good coat and colour. Moved well.
Preferred the topline of winner, although both bitches lost their topline on the move.
Brace 2 (1abs)
- Halliday – a well matched pair of boys, who moved out well together
Sue Griffiths – Judge
WINDSOR CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW – GORDON SETTER
Thank you to the exhibitors for a quality entry of Gordons. On the whole I found a greater depth of quality in the Bitch classes and was pleased with all of my winners. I was looking for a balanced dog of correct size with a ‘brick on brick’ head, moderate body length, well bent stifles, plenty of drive from the rear with topline and level tail held on the move, with clearly defined rich tan markings. Some exhibits did not move as well today as I have seen them do in the past and unfortunately lost out because of it.
Veteran Dog or Bitch (5, 2 Abs)
- Roberts & Watson SH CH KYUNA COLOUR OF MAGIC. 8 ½ yrs B. Sweet, feminine expression, darkest of eyes, strong neck into well laid shoulders, good depth of chest, level topline, good muscle tone, correct markings, in lovely coat and condition. Moved really well driving frOm behind – can still show the youngsters how it’s done! RCC
- Marsh KILNRAE LIL BLACK NUMBER. 10 ½ yrs B. I preferred the head shape of 1, but this bitch still has what it takes. Dark eyes, level topline, good bend of stifle, clear tan markings, in lovely coat & condition, just starting to show her age on the move.
- Sandiford SH CH KEJAJAKE SAPPHIRE OF HERNWOOD.
- Mitchell ROYDACK RUBY HIDDEN GEM OF BROBRUICK. 11 mths, strong head, dark eyes, clean neck leading into correct shoulder placement, level topline, clear tan markings, moved with drive, if a little proud of his tail today. Should have a promising future. BPD & BP.
- Mitchell ROYDACK RUBY HIDDEN GEM OF BROBRUICK.
- Melville TRUSHNOVA TUMNUS. Just out of puppy and giving his handler a hard time! Well planed head, good reach of neck, level topline, excellent bend of stifle, correct markings, moved OK when settled.
- Wrigley KATTANDALE CANTERBURY (AI)
Yearling (5, 1 Abs)
- Glaysher AMSCOT ROYAL PURPLE OF BILLINGHAM. Mature boy, strong head of correct proportions, deep chest, good lay of shoulder, level topline, lovely bend of stifle, correct markings, moved with drive.
- Justice & Ford LIRIC FUSILIER WITH SHILLAY. Another very nice dog, but just lacking the maturity of 1. Dark eyes, lovely head proportions, longer in body than 1, correct tan markings, moved with drive, but tail carriage a little high.
- Melville TRUSHNOVA TUMNUS.
Post Graduate (8, 2 Abs)
- Ashton FORESTERS XCALIBUR OF DARKMOOR MIT GADIEBURN(Imp). Mature male with well proportioned head, deep chest, good lay of shoulder, level topline, good bend of stifle, correct tan markings, in lovely coat and condition, tail and topline held level on move, driving from the rear.
- Gregg LAURELHACH YARRA. Longer in foreface and body than 1, correct tan markings, good bend of stifle, moved well holding his topline.
- Hall MELVIEW MOVING TIME.
- Butler YENNADON LOCHAN AT RUBYMOON JW ShCM. Compact, balanced dog, well-proportioned head, good reach of neck leading into well placed shoulders and deep chest, level topline, good bend of stifle, well muscled, moved with drive.
- Robson LIRIC FOR YOUR EYES ONLY BY YOHENOAK JW. Very stylish dog, dark eyes, level topline, correct markings, not quite the bend of stifle of 1 and a little proud of his tail on the move.
- Bryant MUCKYPUPS D’ARTAGNAN JW ShCM.
Open (6, 1 Abs)
An excellent class of extremely good dogs – I could have done with more 1st places!
- Alcorn, Baddely & Crowther SH CH LOURDACE FULCRUM JW. So much has already been written about this dog so I’m at a loss as to what I can add! He oozes breed type and quality, brick-on-brick head, lovely strong neck into deep chest and excellent lay of shoulder, level topline, correct tail set and markings, driving rear movement, shown in superb coat and condition and handled as ever to perfection. DCC, BOB & Group 3.
- Michalak SH CH KYUNA CALYPSO. Very unlucky to come up against 1 today. Compact, workman-like dog of correct size, masculine head without coarseness, good lay of shoulder, level topline, superb bend of stifle, well-muscled, moved with drive and enthusiasm. RCC.
- Ivaldi MULTI CH LUDSTAR FREDERICK FRANKENSTEIN.
Good Citizen Dog or Bitch (2)
- Upton & Upton-Lovett ROYDACK LOVES A BLAZIN. Very elegant lady, dark eyes, pretty feminine head, level topline, good bend of stifle, moved with drive and enthusiasm from well-muscled hind quarters.
- Powell KIMGILEE MAORI SECRET. Very immature youngster, rather small for her age, dark eyes, level topline, lacking muscle tone which was reflected in her rear movement.
Minor Puppy (1)
- Slaughter CAIRACAILIE NIGHT OF LOVE WITH ORDETT. 8 mths old very sweet baby, lovely feminine head, dark eyes, excellent forehand assembly, level topline, correct tan markings, moved well. BPB.
- Slaughter CAIRACAILIE NIGHT OF LOVE WITH ORDETT.
- Mugford PENSYLWANIA BLACK LOFTY AT LYNWOOD (Imp Pol). 11 mths, lovely dark eyes, not as feminine in the head as 1, good lay of shoulder, level topline, good bend of stifle, moved OK.
- Upton & Upton-Lovett ROYDACK RUBY ROOBIE RUBI.
Junior (9, 1 Abs)
- Thomas GRAYLACIER CHARLIE’S ANGEL AT GLENDERYS. Very close decision between two very nice young ladies, both of whom show great promise. Correctly proportioned head, good lay of shoulder, good forechest, level topline, excellent bend of stifle, well off for coat, moved well.
- Justice LIRIC NOSTALGIA. All the good points of 1, but just not as much forechest and not as mature or in such full coat. Unfortunate to meet 1 today but I am sure she has a bright future and these girls will change places many times.
- Inger & Glover JALWENA JUNIPER TREE.
Yearling (11, 2 Abs)
- Justice LIRIC NOSTALGIA.
- Mawby BURROUGHTOF STAR SYMPHONY. Very well put together young lady, feminine head, dark eyes, good lay of shoulder, level topline, superb bend of stifle, moved well, would prefer a clearer tan.
- Palliser LIGNUM WHIRLWIND JW.
Post Graduate (5)
- Ackerley-Kemp YENNADON REIVER. Hard to split these two quality ladies. Well proportioned feminine head, dark eyes, compact and balanced body shape, level topline, good bend of stifle, positive, driving movement.
- Thomas CHARTAN TREACLE TART. Another quality bitch with all the positive attributes of 1, but today her movement wasn’t as positive as 1. I am sure these 2 will swap places many times, a credit to their owners.
- Williams LONGROW DANCING QUEEN.
Limit (7,1 Abs)
- Boxall LAURELHACH ENTRAPMENT JW. Very striking bitch, feminine head with dark eyes, excellent lay of shoulder, deep in chest, level topline, good bend of stifle, correct markings, flowed around the ring. Pushed hard for RCC.
- Ackerley-Kemp YENNADON LEXIE. Compact, balanced bitch, darkest of eyes, feminine head, level topline, superb bend of stifle, moved with drive.
- Smith GLENKINCHIE SOUL STAR.
Open (6, 2 Abs)
- Frew SH CH DUNFIONN RYSA JW. I first judged this girl as a puppy and am not disappointed to see she has matured into a lovely example of what a Gorodn bitch should look like. Correctly proportioned and balanced in every way, brick on brick head, dark eyes, deep in chest, level topline, excellent bend of stifle, correct tan markings, moved steadily, driving from the rear. Not exaggerated in any way, pleased to award her BCC.
- Ackerley-Kemp YENNADON MALLIN. Another quality bitch, correctly proportioned head, eyes not as dark as 1, good lay of shoulder, level topline, good bend of stifle, moved well, would prefer a clearer tan.
- Thomas CHARTAN HERMOINE GRAINGER.